The Houston SPCA is an animal protection organization and shelter for all animals, and it works to promote commitment and respect for all animals and free them from abuse and suffering. The Houston SPCA is open seven days a week, and all volunteers can come in on weekends between 7am to 6pm.
Volunteers will make a difference for animals at the shelter and the community. The animal areas available for volunteer trainees are large dogs, small dogs, cattery, and small mammals. After 20 hours of volunteering, individuals over age 18 can volunteer in the barn or surgery areas.
Want to volunteer?: Please note volunteer opportunities are not one-time opportunities and commitment is needed for at least 6 months.
1.)Below are requirements to become a volunteer at Houston SPCA:
· All potential volunteers must be at least 16 years old at time of application
· Must be able to commit to 8 hours per month for at least 6 months
· Pay a non-refundable application fee of $40 for adults or $25 for youth (16-17 years old) – this payment is for the uniform, insurance and background screening.
· All applicants 18 and up must complete a background screening
· Must have consistent access to internet and email
· Must have the willingness to complete all necessary tasks within a specified volunteer area
· Must be able to work well with others as all volunteer positions work directly with staff, volunteers and the public
2.)After approval, new volunteers will be considered a trainee and will need to complete 20 hours of training before being eligible to apply for other volunteer opportunities.
Facebook: Houston SPCA Facebook Page
Website: Houston SPCA