Plant It Forward Farms is a non-profit organization that offers economically disadvantaged refugees the opportunity to grow, harvest, and sell produce from farming in Houston. The organization works to secure the land, selects, trains, and mentors the farmers and help them to establish the farm to sell under the Plant It Forward brand.
Volunteer Opportunities include:
- Farming/Harvesting – This is an ongoing activity. After an orientation session, volunteers would be paired with a farmer to assist them with their daily farming activities. This may include harvesting, weeding, composting, watering, or cleaning up the land depending on the specific needs of the day. This is usually a morning activity and will be a physical activity.
- Produce Processing – after a daily or weekly harvest, the produce is taken to the warehouse for washing, sorting and market prep. Assistance here is at a non-AC warehouse, and does not require as much mobility as on the farm.
- Office Work – Periodically, help is needed with administrative duties. This could include webpage maintenance, mailings, photography or other things. This may not have as much contact with the farm or the farmers, but is a big help to the organization.
- Market Work – Currently this is at the Urban Harvest Eastside Farmers Market on Saturdays from 7am to noon, plus other Farm Share distribution points during the week. There will be other market opportunities as the organization expands.
- Special Projects – This could be helping to build out a new farm, helping with a farm dinner, or other special projects. Volunteers with special skills, like carpentry, plowing and hauling, are a great help. Please include all special skills in the volunteer interest form.
- Group and Community Organizations – Special work days can be schedules for groups or Community organizations to work at the farm on a designated day. This is a great way to build community. The Plant-It-Forward farms would not be able to succeed without the assistance from area churches, schools and business.
Want to volunteer?: Volunteers can sign up here. Volunteers will need to attend a 10-15 minute orientation. If any questions regarding volunteering opportunities, please contact email@example.com.
Facebook: Plant It Forward Facebook Page