The Harris County Animal Shelter is always looking for volunteers. Some of the volunteer opportunities are listed below:
- Adoption Counselor – Volunteers help match pets with their fur-ever home by building a relationship with them. These volunteers have exceptional people skill and can access an animal’s characteristic to make the perfect match.
- Dog Ambassadors – These volunteers work alongside a certified trainer to increase a dog’s chances of adoption by teaching them basic commands.
- Photography Assistants – You will assist our photographer by handling animals to capture the perfect “Adopt Me!” photo. Professional photos increase the pet’s chances of adoption because it helps showcase the animal’s personality & breed.
- Kennel Assistant – Volunteers help staff with cleaning, sanitizing, and feeding the animals in our shelter. They may also assist the staff reviewing and reporting health status of animals. This is the most flexible opportunity since they are able to come before regular business hours.
- Kitty Committee – This offsite opportunity allows volunteers to care for our adoptable cats at the River Oaks PETCO store. Visits can be made anytime the store is open and they sign up via an online calendar.
- Evens Team – Volunteers sign up to help with events such as: mobile adoptions, spay/neuter events, health fairs, and vaccination clinics.
Want to volunteer?: Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age. Those who are 16 or 17 years old can volunteer with parent or guardian attending the orientation.
Orientation will take place in the Education Annex at the shelter, which will be marked with a sign indicating Volunteer Orientation. The orientation will provide information about goals, programs and all the volunteer opportunities in more detail. Orientations are generally on a Saturday morning and on a Wednesday evening, though occasionally there are other dates and times offered. The following website showcases the list of all the upcoming sessions: http://publichealth.harriscountytx.gov/Newsroom/Events
Interested volunteers will need to RSVP to attend volunteer orientation. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP.